The nutritional requirements of different animals are different. So, you have to choose carefully the small animal food that is suited to the needs of your pet. There are many factors to consider. The small animal food should supply all the nutrients required by your pet without damaging his health.
Find quality food that will keep your best pal in optimal health. Many food and treat choices for your rabbit, hamster, guinea pig, mice and rats
Choose the appropriate rabbit and hamster food for your pet
The calorie intake should be sufficient. In addition, you can also supplement the regular diet with treats. However, be careful that you do not endanger the health of your pet by overindulging.
Points to remember while buying food for small animals including guinea pig, mice and rat food
Feeding your pet is a major responsibility. So, you will have to exercise appropriate caution while selecting the small animal food.
• Hamster food may be a loose mixture of seeds or pellets. The best hamster food that you can provide is a combination of both the pellet and the seeds. This ensures that your pet gets a healthy diet. Though the pellets are regarded as the best hamster food, your hamster may not like it so much because they are less tasty. So, you have to supplement it with seed.
• Guinea pig food should be low in sugar and high in fiber. You can give three servings of different vegetables each day. Pellets are also available. A quarter cup of guinea pig food pellets is enough for an adult guinea pig. Vegetables which constitute guinea pig diet include alfalfa, celery, carrot, radish, basil, Brussels sprout and many others.
• Gerbil food is similar to the hamster food. In fact, you can feed the best hamster food to your gerbil safely.
• Ferret food has to be high in protein because ferrets are natural carnivores. Ferret food must have animal based proteins and a lot of fats while the proportion of fibers and carbohydrates should be low. When you are buying processed dry ferret food, you need to pay special attention to the nutrient list and understand the quality and availability of protein and fat.
• Mice food is quite easy to come by. Avoid sugar as they may harm your pet.
Treats for small animals such as hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and rats or mice.
Your pet loves and appreciates treats as much as you do. However, you need to be careful while giving treats to your pets. They should be healthy and helpful at the same time and should not lead to any dietary problems. You must also be careful with the number of treats that you give out. While you will enjoy the gratitude of your pet, you should be careful of his health also. Too many treats may lead to obesity or digestive disorders. In such cases, you should consult a vet immediately.
• Use fresh vegetables and whole grains as hamster treats and gerbil treats and avoid the sugary ones. Hamster treats should not exceed 10% of the diet of your pet.
• Vitamin supplements make excellent healthy ferret foods and treats. You can give a boiled egg per week as a ferret food and treat. Choose the ferret food dish with care so that he cannot chew it through or topple it over.